Sunday, June 27, 2010

Annoying Things People Have Said To Me About Twins

I hope this post does not offend anyone but I wanted to write some of the most annoying things people have said or asked me about the boys (don't worry..if you asked, I don't remember who said what...part of having twin brain)! People are FASCINATED by twins and sometimes it can just be really annoying hearing the same questions over...and over...and over again.


1.) Are they twins? This was asked when they were newborns when they were in those matching newborn car seats that snapped into a double stroller....yes all matching..are you serious? I have a double stroller, same car seats, same outfits and they are both tiny babies. If they asked now..well I would get it because they look as different as night and day.

2.) Once people confirm that you have twins, random strangers proceed immediately to tell me whoever they know that have twins, whether it was a great uncle's cousin , a teacher or three neighbors down a street. Honestly, I really don't care unless you are a twin or a parent of twins and can give me some great tips!

3.) Are they fraternal or identical? Okay, so when they were younger, yes I could see that question but now that they are older.....do you know what that question even means? Nicolas is about 1 inch taller, curly hair, green eyes where Christian has baby blue eyes, blond pin straight hair. I actually had one person say to me AFTER I said fraternal - they responded with- Are you sure? Am I sure...hummmm..I am the mom of course I am sure!

4.) Did you get pregnant with twins naturally? What!!!! Hello- nice to meet you - will you be telling me about your gyn process and do you really want to hear about my process of getting pregnant? Which often there is not time to answer because I get that "rapid fire question" immediately after "Do twins run in your family"? I have always said: "I don't know"! That leaves them stomped! I say that because its true.. I don't know because the boys are the 6th set of twins from both sides of my family and I did take Clomid (smallest dose there is), 1 time. So who knows...who cares - I have two beautiful boys!

5.) "It must be hard".."You must have your hands full". Yes, yes and yes...please do not remind me - I am trying to get through the day.

6.) "Oh..Double Trouble or Oh..Double The Blessings" - please just don't say that to me......

7.) "I could never do it" - what would you do then.....give one away?

8.) What do you do when they cry at the same time? - ummm.. let's see..what does every mom try to do, sooth their child or else I join in with them!

9.) Do you tend to favor one or have a favorite? Would you seriously ask a mother that of her child?

10.) Lastly...I absolutely can't stand when someone asks me which one is the dominant twin? I do talk about that with family or close friends...meaning that I talk about who seems to be doing a certain activity more than the other at this particular time. I think when someone asks me that question it annoys me because of the word "dominant"- what is that supposed to mean from the person asking...is one stronger than the other? Is one more aggressive? Is one more assertive? Does that mean one is weaker? You can see why I hate it. Don't get me wrong I do talk about it with my husband, close friends or family but it is on my terms when I want to discuss it!

One of the absolute BEST statements anyone has ever made to me that I loved, loved, loved was from our pediatrician and he said to Ken and I at our first appointment:
Twin parents get a automatic pass to heaven! They could do almost anything wrong and they would still get into heaven! Boy, did that make me feel good, not only the fabulous vision of heaven but knowing he totally got what it was like having twins without putting that negative spin on it of how hard it truly can be at times!

I know that I always want to teach my children, that there are no stupid questions out there..that's how we learn. So, I "try" to remember that when people ask me these questions, I smile and Ken and I have a good laugh about it that night. I know they are not trying to be annoying, stupid or silly...I think they are truly just interested and want to connect somehow.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! Your sarcastic responses (or what you wish you could say) crack me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freakin love this post! I've probably said one of these things to you, namingly the "I don't know how you do it" comment, but this list is awesome :)
    Missing you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it.
    I still have people who ask how I can tell them apart. Seriously?
    I had one person who said "wow, they look really close in age", I replied they were a minute apart. Their answer was "really, I would have thought at least a couple of months". Ummmm, how would I do that?

    They are adorable. I love the then/now shots you posted earlier too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, too funny!!!
    ofcourse i can totally relate to every single one of those questions!!
    so funny, and so annoying at the same time.

    My two are looking so different these days, and i not using a side by side pram anymore, that i don't get as much annoying twin questions anymore.

    we also have the added stupid stranger questions about who's they are, if we had one each, and who carried them?
    i've also been asked by people i barely know who's eggs we used, who's sperm we used, how long it took us to get pregnant and how much it cost etc!!
    i dont usually mind answering, but find it amusing they have the nerve to ask.
    (incase you're wondering, cos it's been a while since pregnancy, tracie's eggs, anonymous sperm, tracie carried them and they were IVF babies. 2 embryos in, worked first time) lol

    ReplyDelete