Monday, August 8, 2011

It's A Twin Thing


I am in a deep sleep with my ear plugs in last night, it's 2 a.m. and I hear a slight sound of one of the boys crying and as Ken checks on them, I hear Ken's muffled voice telling me something. Thinking he just said "I'll check on them" I snuggle back into my blankets, thanking god for a great husband. Then... I hear another muffled sound from Ken, pull out my earplugs and hear the dreaded words "Christian got sick". Clearing the cobwebs out of my head, my body kicks into overdrive as any mom does and sprint upstairs, thinking Oh Lord, here we go.

The crazy part of this was they literally woke up and got sick about a 5 minutes apart. Usually, it is one then the other a few hours or a day apart but never simultaneously. It felt like one of those "Twin Moments".

We have 2 floors so it seemed like NOTHING was upstairs that I needed and I was running up and down for 15 minutes trying to figure out where do I even start cleaning. I kept forgetting to grab all the needed supplies: their clothes, extra bucket, paper towels, towels, Clorox, Lysol, medicine, crackers, water, and a thermometer. Good god it seemed like I was running a marathon. This time the boys knew the game plan- bath, bucket, watch TV for a few minutes, crackers then medicine and back to bed. I, on the other hand seemed off my game and it felt like an eternity to get it cleaned up.

Each time this has happened at night (during the daytime it doesn't bother me) I can never rest my mind or fall back asleep for a hour or two because I listen to make sure they are okay, worry about them, start getting anxious that Ken and I will get it. I want to discuss the whole thing with Ken "Do you think it was something they ate? Do you think it was because I took them to the gym? Do you think that was why Nicolas didn't eat well? What if we all get sick at the same time"? Knowingly, I am not going to get answers and knowingly Ken is probably not listening since he is snoring away, I still have this incredible weird need to verbalize all my thoughts.

As I finally drifted back to a blissful snooze around 4:45 a.m. Christian woke up just to tell me he "Didn't get sick". Hooray! Then he proceeded to chat up a storm for about 20 minutes. I love the extra snuggles, love that he isn't calling me because he is sick, I just wish it wasn't 4:45 am!! Finally, I started thinking.." So glad you didn't barf buddy but please don't wake me up to tell be about it"!! because you never know what will be next when you have sick kids or when your next moment of sleep will be. I actually just put them down for a morning nap because they were getting cranky as all hell. They must be feeling a little better because they were arguing and Nicolas got mad and said "Christian, your toe is not tall"! Mention anything about not being tall like daddy and it really pisses him off. As sit here and drink my quart of coffee, I am praying they are able to take a rest and also take their usual afternoon nap...do you think there is a chance of that one?

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I'm so sorry. You and I are way too much alike. I would have done and said the exact same things as you. Sounds like something they ate! I say a prayer that you and Ken don't get it, just in case!

    ReplyDelete