Sunday, May 16, 2010
Friday, May 14, 2010
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
On top of a great morning, the boys have been blissfully sleeping for 2 hours-The Battle of the Sunblock was worth it! Only 4 more months to go - Home Sweet Florida!
Monday, May 10, 2010
- You get double the love on everything. When they wake up in the morning, I have two boys running to be to give me a great big hug.
- We get double the kisses good night.
- You always feel like a rock star when you go out, not only did you accomplish the task but people love to acknowledge the boys and engage in conversation. Everyone talks to them which they love! I used to hate that when they were first born, but now I love it!
- We are part of an amazing twin community that you feel so connected to as they share all the special things that come with having two children at the same age. Support, advice and lots of friends. Last week we had "joint party" with some of my mom friend who have twins and there were 5 moms/10 kids. Four of us had the boys and girls in the same week- at the same hospital! Being in a household of 10 kids laughing, eating and playing together and sharing it with amazing mothers, made me really appreciate and love my life.
- I get to do everything twice but at the same time. Meaning ,that I don't have that age gap- of trying to balance two different developmental stages/ages. When one of my kids go to bed; the other does ; when one baths,the other does...etc.... I just do one thing more at the same time. Everyone always says to me: having twins must be really hard and sometimes I agree with them but then other times I think- not really I only have to do the hard parts once and I get two children now!
I get so much more exercise then I used to and I don't have to worry about what I eat anymore - ever since they started walking- the work out REALLY began.They have an instant friend in each other and enjoy (usually) playing and being together which would warm any parents heart. Especially when I think of the first time that they will go to school - they will have each other.
- You get to see those awesome moments of them hugging and holding hands at the same age.
- Everyone is so extra supportive of you and your family because you have twins ( maybe because they feel bad for me with the challenges and craziness or maybe just because it is so fun to be around two kids in the same developmental age).
- You sleep like a hibernating bear at night!
Babies truly are a miracle of god and to be blessed with two at once and to be able to make it carrying two in pregnancy, birth and raising them.....wow does it make you feel confident and feel deep inside you can handle the hard things that life sometimes throws at you. Even though I am the biggest complainer in the world, I truly believe in the old saying : " God will only give you what you can handle - I am glad he trusted me with two at once- yet sometimes I do feel like - "Why do you trust me so much and I wish you didn't think I could handle so much (not meaning the boys but meaning the challenges like potty training)!!!! I think the original quote comes from Mother Theresa.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
You are probably thinking..how can a two year old demand to start potty training? Well, he went seven times without me asking him- he pulled down his pants and just said - mommy potty! So...off we go racing towards their pottys ( that I already had set up..because ALL the books say to set them up to get them "used" to seeing it).
I ran after them..fully not prepared what was going to happen. I didn't have rewards set up (like all the books say), I didn't have the books to read to them (like all the books say to have), I didn't have the Clorox wipes and I didn't have their clean diapers/wipes. Oh dear god...is this your sense of humor? Okay, I can do this, I have twins, I have dealt with harder things...right???
Nicolas: Wanted all his clothes off, went potty immediately and was so proud.
Christian: Sat on it, got bored pretty quick, especially when I mentioned they were going to get stickers for going potty. Christian looked at me like .. "What a sticker? Are you kidding me? I get them all the time" the next thing I know, Christian is high tailing it out of the room without a diaper.
Oh crap... another quick "twin" decision to make. Why didn't I shut the doors? Do I help Nicolas clean up and pray he doesn't dump his potty or do I chase Christian so he doesn't pee in the house? Thinking I made the right decision, I stayed with Nicolas thinking it would be only a second or two and you guessed it.. Christian "proudly" went potty on my carpet and had to show me!! My poor disgusting closet.
1 hour later it starts all over. They are both on potty. I have my stickers and diapers, this isn't going to be so bad. Nicolas goes potty - yipee and Christian just looks at me.. smiles and takes off again! Shoot - why didn't I shut the bedroom door again? How did I forgot the door again? I am praising Nicolas and begging him to stay there because I need to go get Christian. Christian quickly made the loop around our house and peed again on the tile floor. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME -you peed on the floor- why, you were just on the potty!!! This is happening so fast. This is so gross. I jump up and of course, no Clorox wipes, I grab Christian and quickly put his diaper on. Then...as I am putting his diaper on Nicolas takes apart the potty and dumps it on the tile floor. AGHHH!
The next time I have an "ingenious" idea.. I will give them chocolate if they both stayed on the potty and go. Now... all the books say " DO NOT GIVE REWARD" if they do not go. Do these authors have twins ? I promised myself, I would still try to follow all the research - no reward if you don't go. Do they realize that the one who does not get the reward will have a knock down, world shattering tantrum that results in a HORRIBLE morning? Christian, didn't go but insisted he still get his chocolate. INSISTED. I knew I couldn't give in.. could I??? He had a complete melt down! It got so bad that Nicolas looked at me and said " Mommy Chocolate..Christian potty". Even Nicolas was routing for his brother to get chocolate. I explained again..you have to go on the potty to get chocolate! Oh my lord, please tell me you have a sense of humor up there and that you will let this be it for the day...please..please I pray.My prayers must of worked because after lunch, I finally came up with an idea. Why not give two rewards! One for trying and a different one for going! Why didn't anyone write that before? So now I am fully equipped and I have the diapers, chocolate, stickers, Clorox wipes, books and all the doors locked. Hey, if you have two kids going at once, why not two rewards? Good news Nicolas went potty seven times so far today and Christian once ( well 4 times if you count the floors)! I am still praying someone will come up with a written manual (step by step) on how to successfully potty train boys! I am exhausted, tired and probably burned enough calories chasing them to lose 5 lbs and its only day one!