Monday, January 24, 2011

Potty Training Update

We have officially been potty training for 2 weeks and it is going good. This is a huge moment for any mom and any toddler. HUGE! You save a ton of money on diapers, don't have to change disgusting diapers but its just another reminder they are growing up and hit this huge milestone. (That part makes me so sad). But having two at once, the advantage is I don't have to do this again. My question is.. when do you stop calling it potty training?


  • When they tell you they have to go?
  • When there are no accidents - for how long?
  • When they wake up from naps/night and are dry?
  • When they stay dry for 2-3 hours at a time and go out of house NOT in diapers?
  • When they can walk in pull down pants and go on own (other than wiping)?

I never know what to say when I am asked if the boys are potty trained. They do all the above for the most part, between the two of them in the past two weeks we had only 3 accidents. Now, they get it. Now, they don't run off once their diaper is off leaving me with the decision..do I chase the one with no diaper and a potty getting dumped or do I stay while the other one runs and pees in the house. THANK GOD, no frantic mommy at potty time.

How did I do it with two boys? I think most of it was timing and they were ready. The other key part (with twins since you have two sitting at once, two sets of pants to pull up, two sets of hands to wash, two potty's to clean) is to have two rewards and to be fast at cleaning up . I give 1 reward for staying dry in between going (I do not give a reward for going or else they won't empty their bladder and will keep wanting to go for their treat) except when they go #2 they get a reward because Nicolas tends to want to not go #2.

My system to eliminate the running off and ensuring hands were cleaned. I put a HUGE bowl of lolly pops in the bathroom. Then when one is done before the other, I put the bowl on the floor for him to sort through and pick their favorite lolly pop. This is a BIG DECISION for a 32 month old. I let them choose the flavor they want (I know secretly know their favorite so I only put a few at the bottom of the bowl) it's a stalling technique. If you have one child, don't even worry about the stalling technique. But the reward system for staying dry is key for anyone.

The hardest part is the time it takes to sit there with Nicolas when he has to go #2- he takes forever. I read a book, sing but after 10 minutes, I just get so bored and finally just say..call me when your all done. I also hate the part of washing hands because they still want to swipe at everything and just play with the water /bubbles which is annoying.

Funny conversation they had while going (Don't read this part if you hate reading about poop). Here is a typical bathroom conversation between my two boys while they are sitting side by side.

Christian : "Did you go poop Ney-ney"?

Nicolas : "Not yet..did you"?

Christian goes ( he tries to stand up to see how much he is going, fascinated by it).

Christian: "Wow -I went..you want to see..it's big".

Nicolas leans over to see.

Nicolas: "That is huge, he did poop mommy, I want to". Then he tries.


So my question still stands - when do you say.."Yes my boys are potty trained?

No comments:

Post a Comment