Monday, March 26, 2012

Licking Cans

I met a lady with a set of 1 year old twins and she also had another child that was 4. We immediately started talking and she asked the dreaded question that ALL MOM'S of young twins ask of other moms with twins: "Does it get easier"? I really did a long pause, she must of thought I was a fruitcake but I remember when I always asked other moms who had 4, 5, 6 year old twins because I thought they have been through it and their kids were still young enough they would remember what it was like. I am talking about a 2 minute or so pause...a LONG SILENT WEIRD MOMENT Pause.
Then I pulled myself back from the flashbacks of good and hell at that age of 1. All the sweetness, all the lovable little things kids do at that age but I couldn't break the pause. I couldn't break it because I had a VERY VIVID MEMORY, a recent image of a recent trip to the public bathroom as the 3 of us were crammed into a stall. The whole time me saying "Don't do that, stop, what are you doing, come on guys that is gross, if I get to the count of 3 your not getting...".
Well, after a very weird uncomfortable pause, I could tell she was on a cliff hanger..just waiting to hear what I would say and all I could muster up was "Ya know, it certainly does in so many ways, but to be honest with you it comes and goes in phases, but going to the public restrooms at this age sucks". All I could think about was how taking twins to a public restroom now at this age SUCKS when one is licking the freaking tampon garbage can, the other is pushing/pulling any button in the stall, picking under the stall at their neighbor, saying very embarrassing things, opening the door on me when I need privacy. I have no idea why the heck that vision came to my head when she asked me.
Then I quickly regrouped (again another weird pause) ."Okay, yes it gets easier, it is so much fun watching them play together, it is so much fun that you don't have to chase both of them in different directions at parks now, it is so much fun going places with them and easier physically.
Side note...this photo (yes again they are in PJ's) Christian helped Nicolas with something and Nicolas ran over to him to give him a big bear hug on his own.
Back to my story:
Thankfully, I saw my girlfriend walking up to us who has twins the same age and I decided to pass it over to her. I said to the lady..."Oh here comes my friend, she will tell you what it is like ( knowing that my girlfriends twins are very similar to my guys and she knows the joys of it and knows the hard parts of it) . Knowing my girlfriend gets desperate like me when we are dealing with a specific problem that comes up with kids the same age (Basically the fighting / tantrums) and knowing she had a shitty day yesterday with her kids fighting I thought for sure she would have that same pause..... Nope. Not at all. I looked like a ass. My friend said."Oh it's just wonderful". I just started laughing and said, " WONDERFUL - you just called me last night because the fighting was going to put you in a mental health facility". You want to describe that part as easy and wonderful??
We all started laughing because my friend said..."Well yeah Jody, I don't want to freak her out..having twins is hard as hell at any age, it is just different things are harder and different things are wonderful, its all phases".
BINGO!! It goes in phases some days are so easy with 2 little guys the same age, other days it is hard as hell. Lots of phases. I just wish "WONDERFUL" was my first thought / reaction instead of my demented thought of my children licking the garbage cans in the public restroom. Yes..Yes..she is right, it is wonderful, it is fantastic and I wouldn't want it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment