Sunday, September 4, 2011

SEAN RODRIGUEZ AND A DANCING GIRL ARE MY HEROS!



I love the post my wife writes, but since this relates to a sporting event, I volunteered (wanted) to write about the boys first trip to a professional baseball game. Ken..A.K.A..Dad

We decided to take them to the Tampa Bay Rays baseball game now that they are old enough to actually enjoy the game and hopefully be able to sit through most of it. Well, before we left for the game I mentioned in the passing to the boys that "Maybe the player will hit a ball into our section and they could get a ball"! Which lead them to say"we can catch it daddy"!! That led to an explanation that I would catch and block it because it is a really hard ball, not like the toy ones at home. This titled me as the "Ball Blocker" (not appreciative of the title) and Mommy the "Picture Taker" because she already forewarned all of us that she was going to be the Papa Razzi with pictures!



Off we go with our gloves to the big game. Well, as soon as we sat down, we were bombarded with "when are the players gonna bring us a ball...why aren't they sharing the baseballs with us"? Wow, I didn't realize that they were gonna really expect to take an actual ball home from the players! Uh Oh Dad..I better figure out how to solve this one and I did.. make up a story! I told them that the players would mail the balls to everyone after the game and they would mail it to my work this week. Problem solved easily enough with a trip to Walmart.



Feeling guilty, I decided to haul the boys (one at a time) along with 15-20 screaming 10 year old boys to the bottom of the row which is right above the dugout at the end of the inning. This is when players will toss the ball that was just used after the last out. Mind you..I am 6'2" and with a 3 year old in my arms, we stand about 7'. Also, keep in mind this event of running to the bottom of the row has to be timed perfectly because they won't let you do it until right when the last out is called. So here I am, a 7' adult running down the steps pushing aside as many 10 year olds from my path as possible.. I WILL get in the front.



Christian goes first and we make it to the front! Yes, mission accomplished! We watch intently as the pitcher is walking back to the dugout and he looks directly at us and almost smiles at how cute Christian is...standing on top of the dugout, wearing his neon yellow/green glove. Pitcher has the ball in his hand and continues right into the dugout!! WTF!! How could he just pass up throwing a ball to my son! Then I realized, that the last out was made by a strike out and it is bad karma for the pitcher to give up that ball. Come on, really! They are not making playoffs this year, do we really still have to worry about traditions at this point.



Next is Nicolas's turn. After a failed attempt because as we were waiting for the inning to end, I mistakely asked him if he had to go potty, as usual it draws a "yes" response. Well, inning ended as we were in the bathroom and little Nicolas saying "Hurry up, I need to hurry we are going to miss it". Crap (not literally) we did miss it. Next inning, we pushed our way through the little 10 year olds who were trying to get a chance to take my sons ball. We made it to the front of the pack as the inning ened on a throw to 2nd base. Sean Rodriquez is their 2nd baseman who, as he walked back to the dugout with the ball, looked at Nicolas and tossed the ball directly to us! I grabbled it before it hit him in the face and before those damn 10 year olds could get their hands in there! WE DID IT!!! Nicolas couldn't have had a bigger smile on his face and as we turned around, the sections actually cheered for him that he got the ball! Next thought " Oh shit, how am I going to get one for Christian....he is going to be so disappointed"! Luckily, it was the middle of the 7th inning and out came the Ray Cheerleaders on top of the dug out throwing softballs to the crowd. Christian loves baseball, but even at 3 years old he may love pretty girls slightly more ( I think he gets it from his Grandpa). As I am holding him, one of the dancers kind of nods to me that she is going to throw us a ball. Sure enough she tosses it halfway up the section directly to me and Christians dream has now come true! A baseball from the "Dancing Girls" is something I don't think he will ever forget!



What an awesome trip! We had hotdogs and the boys literally inhaled a bag of cotton candy, which helped keep them up late and they sang " Take Me Out To The Ball Game" all the way home. Thank you Sean Rodriquez and the "Dancing Girl" for making this an unforgettable night at the baseball park. We can't wait to do it again!



No comments:

Post a Comment