Monday, April 26, 2010

April Showers Bring May Flowers - and Thunder Boomers!

Before I had the boys, I was always up for a good thunderstorm! In fact, I loved them!! I used to always call them "Thunder Boomers" when I was little and have since taught the kids to call thunder.."thunder boomers". I used to get so excited if we were going to have a huge dark storm, the more dangerous- the better. Fast forward to today, I find myself FREAKING OUT when we are having a huge storm because I am a mom.

For example, last night I woke up to what sounded like bullets hitting the window. I jumped up and turned on the TV and saw that we were under a Tornado Watch. Holy Crap....Holy Crap.. I have to wake up Ken!! It's 1:00 in the morning..should I wake him up to be in my world of hysteria, especially since we have to get up tomorrow at our normal Monday morning time... but my anxiety is hitting a all time high.... yes.. I MUST WAKE HIM UP.

This is how it went:
Me to Ken: Ken..Ken wake up, we are under a Tornado Watch, I think hail is hitting the windows. I think we may get a tornado!
Ken: Its fine, its just rain hitting the windows.


Me With Rapid Fire Questions : How do you know, were you awake? Did you hear it? It was loud? Do you think a tornado is coming? How can I see if its coming when its dark? Do you think the umbrella will flip the table outside? It sounds like bombs are going off in the distance, maybe that is a tornado?


Ken: It's fine, I heard it, go back to sleep, its just rain and thunder.
Me: I am thinking...no, you didn't REALLY hear it did you??

Ken- back to sleep - or so I thought. Meanwhile, I should be sleeping because I was just sick in bed the past two days but I start pacing the house like a caged cougar. My thoughts are:
  • I can't see outside- its too dark. A tornado?
  • Should I get our important papers?
  • Will the wind blow off the roof upstairs and take the boys like the Wizard of the Oz?
  • Will a tree crash in upstairs?
  • Did I mail the property insurance?
  • Maybe I should wake up the boys and bring them downstairs?
  • Do I need a snack - I am getting hungry.

I go upstairs and watch the news and wait...wait and wait.. thinking, I know a tornado is going to hit.. the weirdest things always happen to me. I should be prepared. Finally, 40 minutes later after I have every scenario visioned out in my head the finally passes and I start to fall back to my blissful sleep which I desperately need- then I hear : "Mommy up, Daddy up". Nicolas woke up and wants to be rocked (which I secretly love to rock him and so does Ken). This time he doesn't want me to rock- he wants Ken. Ken hears him and comes upstairs to the rescue and helps put Nicolas back to sleep.

We say to Nicolas: " Did you hear the Thunder Boomers"
He says: "Yeah - Thunder Boomers. Daddy Rock, Daddy Rock"

So sweet! He didn't seem scared at all, he just wanted to Rock. I am so happy they are not scared of thunder like their mom.
I ask Ken : Have you been up this whole time too?
Ken: Yes, I kinda of knew Nicolas would wake up after the storm for some reason.
Ken: I am going to go outside and put down the umbrella on the patio.
Me: NOW...that the storm is over ?
Ken : Yeah..I wasn't going to go out in the storm! Go back to sleep, everything if fine.

I guess he had a point, every was fine and he probably knew to stay out of my "internal" storm that was going on for the past 40 minutes! It was just another April Shower ( well thunder boomers) bringing May flowers.

Here's a few photos of how April Showers Bring May Flowers.... my little water boys helping me take care of my plants.

1 comment:

  1. How on earth men can stay so calm in situations like that? My husband is the same way....drives me crazy!

    But then again, if they panicked every time we panicked, our poor kids would be utterly confused!!

    Thanks for the follow! I'm following you now too! It's always nice to meet other twin moms! Your boys are adorable!

    ReplyDelete