Friday, April 1, 2011

The Tale of 2 Little Boys, A Binkie and A Badger


Where do I start?
The boys have graduated to big boy beds (well toddler beds until next week when they get their twin beds). Main point here is they are no longer sleeping in cribs! No more lifting them up/down out of the cribs. It went so smoothly, I thought - this is awesome, they actually did it! My sister warned me...just give it a few days, wait until they get out that first time. Nope..not my guys, they actually listened..well up until today.


Let me back up a bit........ We created this crazy story (well it isn't crazy for this household) that the "Binkie Badger" was going to come on their 3rd Bday and gather their binkies to give to all the new babies. We are going to make a house for the Binkie Badger,they are going to help me put all the binkies in the house, leave it out for him, leave him a tasty snack and the Badger will bring the boys a gift for being so kind in donating their binkies. The story has expanded to the Badger will give them to Santa who will give them to the babies. Now it is Santa will give them to our friend Jessica's baby Ava.


NATURALLY, I threatened them with "If you get out of this bed when Mommy and Daddy are not in here with you, The Binkie Badger will need to come immediately and take your binkies". It worked perfectly, so easy, I thought we lucked out! It must be because they are older now. Right?

Today at naptime, I heard the boys talking back and forth. As I am listening on the monitor all I could think of was Oh shit....This was their conversation:


Christian: I dropped my book Nicolas.

Nicolas : Are you going to get it? Do you want the Binkie Badger to come?

Christian: You get it Nicolas.

Nicolas: No- What about the Binkie Badger, mommys not here.

Christian: Mommy..mommy...mommy (no response from me - I thought that was going to be the end of it).

Christian: I will get it! I will get it Nicolas, let's see the Binkie Badger.

Nicolas: No...then the binkies will be gone. I don't want to see the Badger.

Christian: It's okay, I will get it..let's see the Badger!

Nicolas: Are you getting out?


Christian: Yes, I'm doing it.


Nicolas: Okay.


And he was out of his bed. I hauled ass upstairs and opened their door and said as stern as I can "GET BACK IN YOUR BED NOW!!!".


Christian just laughed and said "No- I want to see the Badger, where is he, I am out of bed, is he here, let's see him"? I didn't know what to say, it all backfired, a whole weeks worth of work and FEAR of taken their binkies away- gone..gone...gone.


Finally I just turned his toddler bed against the wall (back side of it is still high) so he couldn't get out!


Nicolas responded with "Christian ...you look like a caged animal"! I had to turn around because I couldn't stop laughing.


Christian just laughed and kept saying ...I am still standing mom..still standing. Whatever that means..like as if he was not going to back down! Finally he fell asleep. Thankfully, Ken gets to put them to bed tonight!! :)


Everyone asks me why a Binkie Badger? I have no idea, it was one of those weird things that frequently pop into my head and came out of my mouth before I thought about it. My sister keeps saying, why didnt you go with something cute and nice like the "Binkie Bunny - Badgers are so furousous with long dagger nails"....oh so true but I was thinking cute...little fluffly black and white animal.


No comments:

Post a Comment